The Marine Impériale is Empires principal naval warfare force. Naval forces are used in Castaire since Castorian I's grandfather, Charles, in the 10th century and from the early reign of Castorian himself, the Marine was engaged in maritime warfare.
The maritime supremacy of Castaire is ensured by over 300 warships and several thousands of smaller ships for supplement duties and similar things.
The Marine's professional head is the Amiral d'Empire, an admiral and member of the Privy Council of His Majesty The Empereur.
Armament and Equipment
The ships are subdivided into 6 main categories, related to the amount of the ordnance onboard:
- Ship of the line or great frigates
- 1st Rate: 100 and more cannons; three-decker; >2600 t; 850–950 men
- 2nd Rate: 98–90 cannons; three-decker; >2000 t; 750 men
- 3rd Rate: 80–64 cannons; two-decker; 1300–2000 t; 490-720 men
- 4th Rate: 60–50 cannons; two-decker; 1000 t; 350 men
- 5th Rate: 44–32 cannons; one- or two-decker, frigates; 700–1450 t; 215–320 men
- 6th Rate: 28–20 cannons; post-ship; 340–550 t; 160–200 men
- Small unrated ships
- sloop-of-war: 16-18 cannons; one-decker; 350-400 t; 90-125 men
- gun-brig, brig, cutter, schooner: 4-14 cannons; one-decker; <220 t; 20-60 men
- Amiral d'Empire
- Matelot Breveté
Titles and naming
List of ships
Given are the name of the ship in italics, the ordnance, the year of commission and a description of its duties.
- Saint Stéphane-class
- Saint Stéphane 120 (1742) - flagship of the Amiral d'Empire
- Fleuviel 120 (1742) - flagship of the Escadre Bleu
- Ardenielle 120 (1742) - flagship of the Escadre Rouge
- Ærielle 120 (1744) - flagship of the Escadre Blanc
- Harahel 120 (1744) - flagship of the colonial fleet
- Souverain des Mers 124 (1745) - imperial flagship
- Majestueux 122 (1746) - consort of S. d. M.
- Impérial 122 (1746) - consort of S. d. M.
- Victorieux 120 (1762) - reissued, with significantly better sailing abilities and higher speed
- Irréductible 108 (1735)
- Intrépide 108 (1735)
- Redoutable 108 (1735)
- Terrible 108 (1736)
- Foudroyant 108 (1736)
- Empire de Castaire 106 (1760)
- Couronne 106 (1760)
- Chastain-Royale 106 (1761)
- Duché du Gardelegen 106 (1762)
- Océan 102 (1756)
- Orient 102 (1756)